Creating a Custom Email
Looking to create your own custom email like firstname.lastname@example.org? I want you to be able to do that too! So let's jump right in on how you can get your own custom email in under an hour!
I found Google Suite the easiest to set up and was right within my budget so this is what I currently use. I pay $5 USD a month for my custom email as well as the use of Google Suites apps such as Google Drive, video and voice conferencing, google docs etc. You can also start with a 14 day free trial if you want to test it out!
- Start at https://gsuite.google.com/ and click Get Started in the top right corner
- Select the number of employees within your company (you can have multiple people with custom addresses or multiple custom addresses for your site such as email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click Next and put in your personal information as you will be the domain owner. The email you put in will be your recovery email should anything go wrong and you've locked yourself out.
- On the next screen you can choose if you have your own domain or buy one through G Suite (I bought mine through GSuite as I didn't have a website prior to making the email)
- Search for the domain name you wish to have and cross your fingers it is available. There will be a variety of options aside from .com. You could also have co.uk, .org, .net etc. It will also list the cost for the year in addition to the $5 a month. Most sit around $10 -15
- Enter your business information (this could be your home or business address or a P.O. Box you have.
- Create your custom username and password to log in - this will be the part of your email before @yourname.com so something like . email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org for example.
- Confirm your Payment Plan
- Review and Checkout and get started with your new email! Unlike creating an email with a website hosting service, you can jump right in and log in with the credentials you created and do not have to link that email to your existing Gmail or Outook account.
GoDaddy is another popular service for setting up your email has they are by trade a domain purchasing site. If you just want email without all the fixins, you can pick their basic plan for as low as $3.99 CAD a month.
- Go to https://ca.godaddy.com/email/professional-email
- Select your plan and click the Add to Cart button
- Select your term length (the longer you commit, the more you save)
- Create and Account or Log In if you have one
- At this checkout screen you can add the custom domain you want to purchase, Office 365 Essentials etc.
- If you already have a domain with Go Daddy
- Log in and click the Workspace Email button
- Beside the account/domain you want to add email to click Manage
- Click create at the top of the email address list on your screen
- Type the email address you want to use such as email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enter your password for this email and click Create
I have also used Bluehost to set up at email before which involves adding a Pop3 or Mail Account to your current Outlook or Gmail - this is an option as well if you are already hosting through BlueHost! If you want a tutorial on this, drop me a comment or send me an email and that is certainly something I can do you for you folks!
Thanks for reading!